Sunday, September 5, 2010

diy decor: record bowls

I love finding new projects, and I especially love projects as instantly gratifying as these fun bowls!


Who knew that old vinyl could be transformed into something so cute (and functional)! I first saw a how-to on these in a craft book during one of my many browsing sprees at Borders, but a quick Google search gave me countless instructional videos for a refresher. These bowls were super easy to make, and easy on my wallet too after stumbling across the $1 record bin at Happy Trails Music downtown! I selected a few of my 70's and 80's favorites to try out...

  

Aright, here's the low down: heat your oven to 200° and select your first victim (for me it was Maynard Ferguson's 1974 album "Chameleon"). Place the record on an inverted oven-safe bowl, and in the oven it goes! Set your timer for 5 minutes and let the magic begin.



Once time is up take the record out (use hot pads!) and immediately start molding it into whatever shape you want! I tried a variety of methods, from putting the record inside the bowl to shaping it by hand.  

(I didn't get a picture of the molding step, I wasn't sure how long I had before the record was set and didn't want to risk it!)

When all was said and done I was left with 5 awesome record bowls...now I just need to find places for them in the apartment!


No comments:

Post a Comment