Monday, January 23, 2012

what I made: part 1

Over the last several months I have finished several projects that I haven't yet shared. why? Partly because I forget to take pictures of every step of the way like I want, partly because I don't have a real camera so I'm a little iffy about my photos, but mostly because I just plain ole' forget until it's been several weeks. So, I'm starting a new series to share what I've made. At first, it will be in retrospect, sharing one or two projects a week that have long been completed, but the goal is to eventually get to the point where each week I can actually share a current project! SO, let's kick it off!

Last month Courtney and I went up to Portland to peruse Crafty Wonderland. Along with rows and rows of inspiration, I also picked up one of these little guys:


that's right, a DIY cross stitch phone case! This particular one is called the Neostitch, and when I saw it I had to have it. I think it took all of 2 minutes before it was happily tucked away in my bag. The one that I got is black, unlike what is shown above, but they also come in all sorts of cool neon colors!
I debated for a long time what to actually embroider on my case. It felt like such a big decision! Do I go the nerdy route and opt for one of my favorite Star Wars characters? Do I go classic embroider and make it a sampler? I couldn't commit to just one design, so I just started going, mixing patterns and colors as I went. 

I am so happy with how it turned out! Sometimes, I just stare at it and think "yeah, I made that!" Such a rewarding feeling. Here's a shot of the inside of it, to prove that it really is made of thread:

I'd love to know what you think! It feels almost cathartic to finally start sharing some of the things I've made :)

Next week: a skirt, a shirt, and.....well, that's all I got. 

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I love this! I want this! I need this! MAKE ME ONEEE!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally make you one....if for no other reason than it would mean I get to see you!!

      Delete
  2. YESSS! I want both! To see you and to have a adorable iphone case made by YOU!

    ReplyDelete